Wednesday 22 July 2009

Sock news

I've finished two pairs of socks this week. Firstly, my Spinning Around pair I was making from the fuschia Zauberball. I used a pattern from Knitty, RPM. It was a very easy pattern, and gives the knitter a choice of heels and toes. I had another go at the short row heel, but I'm still not that tidy, especially at the very edges of the heel where it joins the main body of the sock. Whilst I love the colours of the yarn, I'm not a big fan of its splitty nature, or the unspun bits. I shall be very interested to see how well it wears - I have a sneaky feeling that it may go very fluffy with use. Once it gets to being sock-wearing weather again, I'll report back.

Spinning Around 005

I've also finished a plain vanilla pair for Wolfgang, using the Violet Green sock generator pattern. I like this pattern - it always gives me a well-fitting pair of socks. The yarn is a Regia Kaffe Fassett one, given the manly seal of approval by Mr Josiekitten. We'll be hand delivering them on our travels round Germany during August.

Wolfgang's stripy socks 001

I feel duty bound to give you an update on the progress of my July sock challenge sock. Take a look........

July sock update 002

I was hoping to make Jaywalkers. Well, this yarn just did not want to be Jaywalkers. The pooling looked awful and I just couldn't get the size right. So I have abandoned that idea for this month, and today cast on for Rib Fantastic from a great sock book - Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn by Carol Sulcoski. I gave snoopydog a copy for her birthday recently, and liked it so much that I bought myself a copy too! The pattern tells you to cast on 66 stitches on 2.75mm needles, so I dutifully followed the pattern, only to find that the socks were way too big, even for my huge feet! Luckily I'd only done one pattern repeat, so ripped it off the needles. I'm going to make myself a nice cup of tea and settle down to try once more. And no, I'm not panicking yet. I know that there are only 9 days left in July, but I'm feeling confident! Watch this space.

PS The sock yarn blankie rocks!

blankie day2

1 comment:

snoopydogknits said...

I really love your Zauberball socks! Must have a go at that pattern. Your relatives are very lucky to receive such thoughtful gifts. Snoopydog is very partial to blackcurrant wine, by the way :D XX