Sunday 29 November 2009

Countdown to Christmas

I love the first Sunday in Advent - it's when Mr Josiekitten and I dig out all the Christmas decorations and put the tree up. My family weren't big on Christmas, and some years we didn't even have a tree, but I think that I'm more than making up for it now. I love the build up to Christmas once Advent begins, and get much pleasure from all the ornaments and trinkets we've collected over the years. So many memories in a few boxes. New on the tree this year are the mini stockings I've started knitting. I've made another one this week, with some beads, and have almost finished a third. This is the one I made first......

Mini stockings on the tree

and here is this week's offering.......

Mini stockings on the tree (4)

I've finished the drop stitch scarf I've been making for Michele. I didn't quite use a whole skein of the Manos del Uruguay silk blend yarn before I decided that it was long enough to wrap round and snuggle into. The yarn is really luxurious, and I hope that she'll like it! That's all my Christmas knitting done and dusted (except for mini stockings - and the list of who to knit for gets ever longer!)

Jewelled drop scarf (2)

My December socks are progressing too - I've managed three pattern repeats so far. Although the pattern is simple, it's different on every odd row, and I keep making mistakes. I can't knit it in the staffroom at lunchtime, or whilst watching TV. Luckily, it's easy to frog back! Here's how it looked earlier in the week.....

December Tidal Waves WIP (1)

I've decided to frog my Lizard Ridge blanket. Although I love the pattern, all the sewing together puts me off, and I've seen some absolutely stunning Ten Stitch blankets on Ravelry, knitted with Silk Garden. I'm not starting anything new until I've got more of my projects finished, so project 100 is not yet cast on (although I do have a pretty good idea what it's going to be now!)

Christmas has arrived in school too. We are busy making decorations to sell at the Christmas Fayre. I've been ambitious and have taught all my pupils how to sew on sequins by adding a bead, and the children are making felt trees decorated with sequins which they are then sewing on a machine and stuffing. Some of the children have struggled a bit with the sewing machine, but have persevered, and the finished trees look fantastic. I'm very proud! I will take some photos to show you when they are all done.

Snoopydog and I are planning to go to Knit Nation next summer, and are deliberating which class to take - at the moment it's a toss up between Toes and Heel for Toe Up socks with Wendy Johnson, or Two at Once Toe Up Socks using magic loop with Chrissy Gardiner. Decisions, decisions! Which would you do? Please let me know - booking opens in a couple of days, so we don't have much time to make up our minds! Have a good week!

7 comments:

Jennyff said...

Oh no your tree is up already? The little socks do look lovely so I can understand your enthusiasm to display them. We don't put our tree up till Christmas Eve and I had been thinking this year is it worth the bother. I've never knitted toe up socks but I do like the idea of completing both socks at once. Alternatively you could each attend one of the courses and then tell the other about it - thats the Yorkshire in me coming out.

melissa said...

love little sock #2! they both look so sweet hanging on your tree.
i'm hoping we get ours put up tomorrow.

that scarf is beyond gorgeous! i love it!

AnnaPrasad said...

I know what you mean, the first of Advent in Germany is a pretty big deal. However, since I've moved to England I've not really celebrated it. We're going to get a small tree this year though, which I'm looking forward to. I did make some lovely German Christmas cookies with a friend on Saturday, they are scrumptious. I'm loving the socks by the way :-).

snoopydogknits said...

I love your little stockings!!! I might have to give them a go. The Manos scarf is lovely too. Michelle will be very pleased. It is amazing how far the yarn goes! Loving the socks too. XXX

Aussie Maria said...

The little stockings are so cute, great idea for a little something to throw in

Got It From My Mama said...

your decorations lokk fab!
It is getting so exciting, i cant believe its nearly christmas already!

Viknits said...

We didn't have many Christmas decorations so this year is our first Christmas as a couple in our first new home and we're more than making up for it now :) It's so cosy and cheerful with lots of decorations!
Your scarf is really gorgeous, and I love the stockings - I've done 10 so far, they're good for using up leftovers!