Saturday 18 December 2010

A spot of festive vinyl

'Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!'
Good afternoon! Are you feeling Christmassy yet? We've had yet more snow, so have decided that the only thing to do is to stay at home in the warm, and relax! Neither Mr JK nor I are great TV watchers, but we do like listening to music. Being a 'wild-child' of the 1970's, Mr JK can only be described as a vinyl junkie! His collection of LPs and singles is one of the reasons why I never need to feel bad about the amount of wool that I have! Great stuff! Do you want to take a look?!

festive vinyl 018

There's even more still stored up in our loft! In the foreground you can see one of his other passions - guitars! Well, one of them is actually an electric mandolin, but you get the idea! I'm not quite sure exactly how many guitars he has - possibly seven. So I just tease him if he raises an eyebrow when new yarn arrives. I mean, how many guitars can he play at any one time, eh?! Whereas it's quite possible to have more than one knitting project on the go, isn't it?!

At the start of Advent, all the Christmas music gets taken off the shelves, and we have a 'pot-luck' listen through them. Some are old favourites, like Bing Crosby and Andy Williams. Others are more unusual, like Christmas with Pinky and Perky, and The Wombles' Christmas Party! It certainly makes for some interesting listening! Here's a little selection of some of the music we'll be singing along to this year!

Festive vinyl

How about you - what will get your toes tapping this festive season? xxx

5 comments:

Lynne said...

WOW!!!! That's a LOT of records! He definately can't complain about your stash!!

I'm not a huge Christmas music fan, as it tends to do my head in very quickly - but I suppose that would be the songs we hear all the time - Slade, Wizard, The Pogues etc. My sister is the big Christmas music fan around here.

I do like Kylie's version of Santa Baby, and her new version of Let It Snow - but then I'm a huge Kylie fan.

I also love Baby It's Cole Outside by Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews, although it's more a winter than a christmas song. And I love Frank Kelly's (Father Jack from Father Ted) version of the 12 days of christmas. It's so funny! Terry Wogan always played it on his breakfast show.

snoopydogknits said...

Hmmm! That's some collection. Wish Mr Snoopydog collected something, then I wouldn't have to hide yarn ;-) xx

Denise said...

OMG Pinky and Perky, I haven't heard of them in years - how sweet to remember :) We used to have the Jim Reeves album on cassette and would listen to it every year in my Mam's kitchen right up til Christmas :)

melissa said...

oooh my heart did a flip when i saw the john denver christmas lp! i used to listen to that over adn over and over on my record player when i was a kid.

thanks for the memory!! now i'm going to go and see what i can do about getting my hands on a copy :)

knittingsandwich said...

wow that's crazy cool!