Sunday 13 November 2016

Tiny steps


I started back at school this week, but only working mornings while I try to get my sleep (or lack of it) sorted out. It's been good to do something 'normal'. My creative mojo has been pretty low for the past month and I haven't been able to settle to much. My night-time companion has been a Granny Square blanket using a variety of colours of Stylecraft Special DK that I bought a year ago with a knitted blanket in mind. However, I found myself wanting something mindless and soothing to work on and the repetitiveness of the crochet fitted the bill. There's no special plan, just picking the colours fairly randomly and working each round. I plan to use the Parchment shade to work a final round on each square and join them as I go.




I have also started a poncho/wrap using a pattern from the most recent Rowan book. I'm using yarn that Mr JK picked out for a sweater for himself. I had started knitting it but had decided that the yarn wasn't right for the pattern so it had been frogged. The poncho uses the very same yarn - Rowan Brushed Fleece. Perfect! So it will be like having a hug from Mr JK when I wear it. Of course, Flo is rather smitten with it too, but I think I can allow her a share in in the hugs too.




I haven't done any sock knitting for ages and decided to try some DK socks for a change. I ordered yarn from Suffolk Socks and had brilliant service. Julie was really sweet and added a few extras in my parcel in the hope of kick starting my sock knitting. And do you know, I think it's worked. I started these yesterday evening when I was with my pal Snoopydog and look how much they've grown already!  The yarn is an Opal one, so I know it will wash and wear very well. You never know, I might have a finished pair by next weekend. xxx






17 comments:

DebbyMc said...

Good to see you, Helen. So glad you are finding comfort in these gentle things. (((Hugs))) to you and Flo.

Clicky Needles said...

I'm sure the children at school will help you feel 'normal.' The colours in the blanket look beautiful. I think a poncho is a lovely idea and I'm sure Flo does too. CN xx

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about the repetitiveness of crochet being what you need when your mind is full. My son spent 8 weeks in hospital at Easter and I found my hands needing something but I couldn't concentrate properly on knitting.

Cindy said...

Glad to see you are back to crafting and that is is bringing you peace and comfort. Thinking of you every day and sending you healing thoughts and love!

Unknown said...

Your crochet squares are beautiful

VeggieMummy said...

Hi Helen, so good to see you back. Your blanket squares are looking lovely - the colours and pattern remind me of those Binka squares we used to make as children. I love the thought of Mr. J K giving you a hug when you wear his frogged jumper. I was wondering about making some socks out of DK yarn - do you have to change the needle size or number of stitches? Sending hugs to you and Flo - I'm sure she's a great comfort. xx

Jane Winter said...

Hi Helen
A warm welcome back. I have been thinking of you. Glad that you are managing to get into school and do some craft work. Much love Jane x

busybusybeejay said...

-What a brilliant idea about making the poncho.Mr JK will be close to your heart.When I have had bad times I find crafting such a great help.It distracts your thoughts.Another good idea is having a jigsaw on the go.While you are looking for a piece your mind is on that.Going back into school is good because the children will keep you busy.
You are doing so well.Life will never be the same again but you hit the bottom and are on the way up.

Petersson13 said...

Be gentle with yourself, go at your pace. Mindless crafting and small (ish) doses of children sounds good. Ive been thinking of you a lot this last month. Yours was one of the first blogs I ever read, and I've appreciated reading about your crafts, the lovely flo, and your family travels. Xxx

Unknown said...

Each project is so cozy and squishy. All my very best to you, Helen.

cristina said...

The squares are very beautiful!

Unknown said...

Lovely to see what you are knitting.

PixieFoxtrot said...

Good to see that you're taking these small steps, you've been in my thoughts. I love the colours of the crochet squares, but what about all those ends to finish off? Maybe you could teach Flo to darn in some ends while she's cuddling on your poncho?! Carol.

Claire said...

It is so good to see that you are knitting and crocheting again. Those blanket squares are lovely and I might have to pinch that idea for myself. I am so impressed by how fast you have knitted that sock, love to see them when they are finished.

I like the idea of using Mr JKs wool in a poncho for hugs. I kept Ivan's work fleece for exactly the same thing. It's very comforting to wear and feel that he is still keeping me warm :)

You are an amazing person and a huge inspiration. Thinking of you a lot and sending hugs your way.

kjsutcliffe said...

There is such comfort in crafting, and the idea of the poncho becoming a hug is wonderful -x

snoopydogknits said...

Loving the colours of those granny squares and the gorgeous socks! XX

Lynne said...

Loving all for your projects, especially the granny squares -the colours are gorgeous. It's good to read that you are taking care of yourself. Lynne